Wednesday, March 4, 2009

cloth diaper reviews-pockets

Okay so pockets are probably the most "known" cloth diaper out there. With names like Bum Genius, Happy Heiny's, and Fuzzi Bunz, it is no wonder!
With pockets, they do not require a cover. They have a PUL outside, with a fleece or microfiber interior. Between the two layers there is a space to slide in an insert. The fantastic thing about this, is that you can add as much or as little as you need. For over night I "double up" and have no worries! Also since I pre load mine right out of the dryer, they are ready to go and at diaper change time, they as easy as a disposable. Even dads love pocket diapers! Most pockets come in set sizes (s,m,l) or one size. Most offer both snaps and aplix. I have the three diapers listed above, and all one size.

The bum genius was the first one I bought and tried. I knew that I wanted a "night time" diaper and had heard such great things from this diaper. So I bought one with the fleece interior and tried it out. First impression? Love at first sight! It was so incredibly easy to size and to put on. It fit wonderfully and that night, it lasted 12 hours!! Not one leak. This diaper is very trim and very absorbent. Even on my tiny newborn, it wasn't too overwhelming. Another feature to consider is that this diaper has a flap in the back that covers where the insert goes in. I love this and this is my favorite thing about this diaper. It does more than contain the insert. It protects the baby's skin! Since the fleece flap is what is against the babies skin, there are no red marks! I love this!Also the aplix is super easy!
Over all this was a fantastic diaper. However, with these, there is considerable wear on the splix tabs with repeat washings. They will curl and stick to everything. You usually end up with "diaper chains" when taking it out of the dryer. Over time the tabs get fuzzy and down right ugly. Now I love this diaper, but I think the tabs need to be redesigned. Also, bum genius, run a bit smaller. Great for a trim fit and for smaller kiddos, but this diaper does not fit my four year old. Out of all of the pockets I have, this is the smallest but trimmest diaper.

Happy Heinys were the second diaper I tried. (I have both snap and aplix)
The first thing I noticed is how much larger they were compared to the bum genius. They still size down well, but they fit my four year old with room to spare. They are very generous with their sizing. The interior is fleece and it also comes with its own inserts. I loved that Happy Heinys came in prints! I have the cow and monkey print! Adorable!
The first night I actually used this, it was perfect! Easy to put on and did not leak! The thing I quickly discovered though, is that I MUCH preferred the aplix over the snaps. Since this diaper is sized generously, the amount of change with each size adjustment is quite large. So if your baby is in an in between size, the diaper does not fit well. There is a lot of wing droop, and I found this very problematic. I normally prefer snaps, but not with this diaper! The aplix, however is great! The tabs are completely different than bum genius, and work a lot better. They are larger and easier to use. They also have an overlap tab that is helpful! The aplix allowed me to "fine tune" the size better and this works for us!
At first the diaper was easy to wash and always came clean. After months of use though, the diapers interior fleece has began to break down. I have six of these diapers, and all of them are doing it. The aplix is still perfect, but the interiors are failing. We will have to see if this continues or not. Over all, I do recommend this diaper, especially for larger kiddos. Even those who are potty training and still need a night time diaper. This will be a great choice!

Alright, last but not least, is the Fuzzi Bunz one size. This was the last of the pockets I bought. I will tell you right off the bat, this is my favorite pocket diaper!
When I received this diaper, I was so thrilled. The exterior is much thicker and nicer than other PUL outers I have seen. The interior is by far the softest fleece! This diaper looks amazing! Also, they only come in snaps, which I love.
The thing about this diaper is the unique way you adjust the size. Instead of snaps, you have access to the elastic itself within the diaper, and you pull it or release it, then secure it with a button. This allows for the most minute size adjustment of both the rise and waist. I love it and it is our best fitting pocket. Also the inserts are amazing to say the least. We now use this diaper as our exclusive night time diaper! I can also tell you that after 10 months of washing, the diaper is still perfect. No wear and tear! I can not tell you enough how much I love this diaper! Do not be intimidated by the different sizing method. Trust me you will LOVE this!


Pockets are great and even more, they are easy! No stash is complete with out a few. These are my go to diapers for trips and traveling!!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...