Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Easton Joseph...

Hello everyone! I am so sorry I havent been able to update you all any sooner than this. We had no internet and NICU had a strict no cell phone policy. So here is our story!

As you all know I went in on monday evening to be induced. They placed the cervadil and we went to sleep. My dr came in around 7am and I was only 1-2cm so she decided to not break my water and just start pitocin. My contractions got painful pretty fast but were still manageable. They kept having to up my pitocin b/c my contractions would eventually space back out. So needless to say at 4pm I was only about 3cm and my Dr broke my water and I got an epidural. I was happy for the epidural but not of the special leg devices I had to have on the whole time. Also the epidural that I recieved was very mild and I could still fully move my legs and feet. However it did take the edge off...

You would think that since my water had been broken that it would speed things up....nope! So after several hours and me being stuck at 4cm, I was begining to lose hope. Finally after 8 I started to feel A LOT and much lower down. It was a very different pain and very painful. I knew that things were happening. Within 30 minutes I dilated to 7cm and within 10 more minutes I was complete. I only had to push 3 times and he was out! I felt every bit of him coming out but it was so fast thankfully. He was born at 9:16 pm and weighed 7lbs 6oz and was 19.5 inches long. He was amazing and gorgeous but this is when our story became very, very scary.

Within minutes he started having a hard time breathing. They suctioned him very well but he couldn't breathe without a lot of effort and a lot of noise and grunting. They decided to take him to the nursery just to check him out. I wasn't worried at all at this point. 2 hours later they came in and said they had to transfer him to another hospital in orlando. There was a level 3 NICU there and thats where he needed to be. We went to see him and he had so many tubes everywhere. He had a nasal cannula, a tube into his stomach, an IV in his hand, and lots of monitors. Nothing could prepare me for that sight. It was heart breaking.

They finally transfered him after 3am and we tried to rest. I was lucky to be in such good shape after my delivery (and only tore a tiny bit) that they discharged me after 12 hours to go be with EJ. We left and went to be with our baby boy. Thank God we were able to stay at the Ronald McDonald house the entire time.

When we got to the NICU, EJ was in rough shape. He was on a lot of oxygen and had even more wires. He had been diagnosed with pneumonia, probably from Group B strep. They started antibiotics immediatley.

So we prayed and prayed and prayed even more. To our wonderful surprise, the next day EJ was on room air. It was still pressurized but room air none the less! The had moved his IV to his foot so we could hold his little hand. He still was not allowed to eat at all but he had the IV for that. By the next day they had removed the cannula and we started attempting feeds. These went really slowly at first but we got better and better. They finally placed him in the level 2 NICU and put in the IV in his head. That was horrible to see. I was so sad to see my baby stuck over and over. His hands, feet and head are so bruised.

On Valentines my baby boy pulled a miracle. He went on full feeds, he got off his IV, and stopped his antibiotics. He is so amazingly strong. We went from not knowing the outcome, to him being healthy literallyover night. The only thing we have now is jaundice. His bili levels went up each day but they still discharged us and we follow up tomorrow with the pediatrician. He is very sleepy and lethargic due to the bilirubin so say a prayer his levels have gone down some. I DO NOT want to have to be readmitted due to bili levels!

We are over the moon happy to have our little boy home. He is my little love and I could not have gotten a better Valentines gift. I am still so incredibly nervous that something will go wrong but I am just so in love....

Thank you all for your support and prayers. They really worked and we felt everyone of them.

1 comment:

Randi said...

Oh honey! HUGE congrats to you and your family:) So very happy for you! Welcome baby EJ you are so beautiful and I'm so excited you are here. It's been such a long journey to get you here.

Gavin's bilirubin levels got up to 17 and he had to have a billi-blanket, brought to the house, and in three days they went down to 11, and he was/is fine.

Blessings to you dear:) Enjoy your little men and hope your getting good sleep.


Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...